Saturday, May 25, 2024

Eastern Tiger Swallowtails are the first of the season in late May on Long Island, NY .

 I foolishly did some necessary chores bringing winter things into the attic and 3 trips made me short of breath. But I did get outside to work on clearing out the cut down invasive daylilies that are taking over the north edge of the asparagus and veg garden - even the old compost pile. I dragged one tall can to the front for pick up next week. Anything invasive I don't add to an anerobic pile. I had to sit before even going inside and up the 4 stoop steps.


As I sat, I was gifted with seeing my very first yellow eastern tiger swallowtail flying into the understory of Sassafras I allowed to grow next to the 100 year old maples. They love butterfly bush (Buddleia), Joe-Pye Weed (Eutrochium purpureum), milkweed (Asclepias spp.), phlox (Phlox spp.), ironweed (Vernonia spp.), and lilac (Syringa spp.).

I don't believe in any of this hokey pokey, I believe in the science and data. But it amused me to read: Yellow butterflies symbolize positivity, hope, and transformation. Seeing one might mean good news or big, positive changes are headed your way. Spiritually, a yellow butterfly can symbolize that you're near a spiritual awakening. It might also be a sign that your passed loved ones are thinking of you.

I could use a little hope & positivity these days.

🙂

No comments:

Post a Comment

Herb Garden is along an added 3 foot extension to garden using weed cloth and mulch growing in large pots

Wild Mint that came from Irene Prevel's garden in Rocky Point in 2015. It's spread over the past 9 yrs.     Roman Chamomile planted ...